Friday, February 13, 2009

Never Met a Stranger

I was quietly reading a book last night after putting the kids to bed when I heard Aurora yelling, "It's me...Aurora!" I ran up the stairs to her room to find her yelling out her opened window to the Schwann's man who delivers to our next door neighbors. I couldn't believe it! I yanked the window down and she and I had a talk about strangers and what not to say to them. I wasn't worried about the Schwann's man....just the other teenage boys that roam the streets at different times during the day. I can just see her having conversations with everyone from her bedroom window. Kinda like Rapunzel, right?

This has become a trend with Aurora. She's so NOT shy!!! Case in point - We were going to a Valentine's party yesterday and we stopped at the grocery store on the way there to pick up some fruit to take with us. We were met by the Assistant Manager (we've all met before on several occasions) and Aurora promptly invited him to the party. "You can come with us. We're having pizza and decorating cupcakes and now we're getting fruit to take with us." On and on she went...."It'll be lots of fun. And my brother Jesse will be there too. But my mommy has to go to the doctor with my baby sister. Her name is Regan...." It was like watching a train wreck! Then, off to check out and she invited the cashier and the lady behind us in line. Same shpeal, same invite!!! They thought it was cute, but I just wanted to get somewhere private and explain again and again that we don't talk to strangers unless Mommy or Daddy says it's ok.

I don't want to freak her out or make her think that all people are out to harm her and she should be afraid. But, when she's opening her window at night and yelling to people on the street something has to be done, right? Geesh! What am I going to do when she's a teenager? Hopefully by then my words will have sunk in. Until then, everyone's invited to visit and let Aurora tell them all about us and what we're doing today....and tomorrow....and next week....and next year.....

4 comments:

mindy said...

Yeah, that's a tough one. "Quit being so polite and friendly!" It would be a little scary wondering who else she's been talking to from her bedroom window at night...

ldsjaneite said...

Wow. I remember Kiersten talking about at least one of her daughter's having the same problem. Maybe she has advice?

Micaela said...

That would be pretty scary to see and hear! Ashelyn went through the same thing when we were living with Mom and Dad that summer. It was even more scary when she would actually tell people that her daddy was gone. I did not want random people knowing that... I just kept telling her that it was great that she wanted to talk to a lot of people. If she wanted to say hi to someone that would be fine, but not everybody needs to know everything. Some stuff is just for us to know. She still tells people like her teacher and her friends, but she's a lot better about who she says what to now. I mostly think she caught on to it on her own. Good luck!

Molly said...

She's just like you....talking to men out her bedroom window. Stop being a hypocrite!