I love this time of year! The time between Halloween and New Year's brings back so many memories. I remember when I was little, we'd always go with Dad to pick out our favorite tree from the Christmas Tree farm. Dad would haul it into the house, w/ Mom pushing the vacuum cleaner around to pick up all the needles. We'd make a thousand trips, it seemed, to the basement to bring up all the ornaments and decorations and then we'd chaotically set everything out. We'd listen to Christmas tapes on the stereo and either Dad or Bub would videorecord us decorating. Molly would always end up dancing in front of the camera and would get reprimanded to move away so we could see everyone else.
On Christmas Eve, we'd have a family dinner and then watch Christmas shows on TV while having snacks. Dad would usually build a fire. Christmas morning was always so exciting! We'd wake up early just to sit in the living room and look at all the gifts and lights. I remember the year we got the Little Tikes kitchen and the Christmas we got the Barbie Dream House. As I got older it seemed a little different without my older brother and sisters there. However, I remember one Christmas when everyone came back and we all spent Christmas morning together. That was a really fun time!
I also remember the Christmas right before I got married. Andrew and I were married December 28th, so that Christmas seemed like a really busy time with a bridal shower, finishing decorations for the reception at the church, and making sure everything was set for me to be moving. But I can remember how I felt so excited and sad at the same time. Maybe everything seemed EXTRA special because I knew that it was the last Christmas I was going to spend single at my parent's house.
And now, this Christmas is a little bittersweet. Andrew has been gone for almost 5 months. He got to come home for a little while during Thanksgiving and he'll be home for Christmas morning (thank you, Sheila & Kevin!!!!), but the Christmas holiday is more than just one day and I'm missing him here everyday. The kids are excited about Santa and all the other things that kids love about Christmas so I'm trying to make this the best Christmas for them.
Hope you all are thinking about how special this time of year is and remembering all those great memories. Happy Holidays to everyone!
Christmas 2025!
8 months ago

2 comments:
Christmas memories are great. Brian wanted me to let you know that he was the one who put together your barbie dream house...Your kids are young and they will remember this Christmas as being wonderful because you are doing a great job! Brian was impressed with what a great mom you are. (I would probably crawl under the bed and never come out...)keep up the good work!
So glad to hear about you all! And I love the pic... Andrew does look thinner. I'm glad he'll be coming in for Christmas day. Such awesome memories...I also remember the year the basement had flooded and mom sewed a bunch of new ornaments for the tree because a lot of them were ruined. Remember? I think the 2 angels I have were ones she made then. Hang in there with those little ones! These are years to treasure. It's no fun when they don't believe in Santa anymore! ha
Post a Comment