The kids and I made a round of doctor's appointments early this week. Regan had a well child visit with the pediatrician early Monday morning. Everything was going great! I had bribed the kids well and I thought this was going to be a breeze. Regan was smiling, the kids were quietly playing in the waiting room. This is SO not a big deal, right? Yeah, right! As soon as we went through the door to our room with the nurse, I knew with the instincts of a very scared mom that things were going to bust wide open. It started when Aurora and Jesse decided that the chairs in the room were "not soft" and there were no "toys" in the room. So, Jesse decided to search the room and collect every piece of garbage off the floor (who would have thought the doctor's office would have so much trash? Maybe I need a new dr?). Then, Aurora started complaining that her "tummy is so hurting, mommy!" Jesse was obsessed with the trash can. FLIP, BANG, FLIP, BANG, FLIP, BANG (up and down went the lid). Regan was wailing at the top of her lungs because anyone except me was within 2 feet of her. Bless his heart, the dr just kept going with his nicely rehearsed speech, of which I could've recited by heart. Heellllooo? Did I look like a new parent? I already knew that you aren't supposed to put your baby on the bed and walk away? Is this really what I'm paying for? After everyone got there shots (Regan) and flu mists (Aurora and Jesse) we went home to recuperate. Well, at least I did!
The next day, Aurora had an eye doctor appointment....her first ever. I thought she would do okay. She knows her alphabet and she likes being the center of attention. I brought the candy and the toys...I was going to be prepared this time. How hard could this be? Did I not learn anything from the day before? As Aurora sat in the chair in the room, I began to get nervous. They put up the screen with all the letters on it and asked her what the first letter was. I guess she couldn't see it because she just started to sing the alphabet....Jesse joined in also. So, the doctor put up the pictures for her. Again, the first picture is?...."Umm, I think it's a birthday cake." YES!! That one's right! Next?..."Ummm, I think it's a basketball." OKAAAAYYYY, it was a boy on a bike...close enough. Next?..."Umm, I think that one's fog." (jaw drops) WHAT??????? FOG????? Oh, what did I do to deserve this? I guess Jesse was embarrassed after that too, because he started yelling to her what they were. "It's a car....It's an airplane..." One right after the other. I was furiously trying to cover his mouth while stifling a laugh. I couldn't believe my crazy kids. After all that, the doctor said she needed glasses. So, now we will get to experience the pleasure of a 4-year old in glasses. JOY!
FOG???
Christmas 2025!
8 months ago

9 comments:
Fog? What? That's hilarious. I'm starting to see how dumb some mothers must be. I got told everything but, "Don't hit your baby," while I was in the hospital. Oh my favorite rule in the hospital was that Bob could stay the night, but he couldn't get naked. What?
Molly, did you actually ask? Ha! I'm sorry Nancy! You always look at things comically. I've left places thinking, "I'm never coming here again!!"
Doctor appointments are never easy...even if it is just you with one child! I'm glad you survived! Truly the glasses won't be that bad, the doc will give you a speech about multiple pairs b/c she is a child but Kanayla has had glasses for over a year now and still no breaks or scratches. Good luck!
we always got the insurance because my kids never failed to break several pairs a year (of course it was never their fault...)
I know you worked for Halpern (sp?), but a cheaper alternative to glasses is Zenni.com, as long as you can get the measurements from the eye doctor.
My insurance covered almost all of it....if they get broken I may check that out as a replacement. Thx!
Hi Nancy! I just stumbled upon your Blog through Becca's page. Your kids are so adorable!
Jennifer
Thanks Jennifer....nice to hear from you. I've been to your site and your girls are adorable also (and so grown up)!!
I sat here laughing because I totally know how those lovely doctor visits go! Mostly it's Stephen for me, though. If I can get somebody to watch him, I can handle anything. Fortunately, he's getting better. I have also had those miraculous moments that all 3kids sit perfectly still (Not too often):). I'm sure Aurora will look cute in her glasses!
Post a Comment