Today was our Primary Presentation at church. AHHH! That precious time of year when the children in our ward stand up and give us all they've got: booger picking (& eating in some cases), hair pulling, burping, tripping, panty flashing, etc. As I sat there, a baby on one leg, and a toddler on the other, I tried to see past the people sitting in front of us to witness my firstborn in her very first Primary Presentation. The Joys of Motherhood, I thought. But as the first song started, I looked around and couldn't see Aurora anywhere. My son said, "Where's Aurora?" and I had to tell him that Aurora was up there SOMEWHERE and that we should just keep looking. Frantically I looked back and forth, leaning this way and that way. My kids probably thought their mom had lots her marbles, but I was NOT going to miss this right-of-passage. Little did I know that my daughter was sitting up there, arms crossed, refusing to sing and complaining that she wanted her Mommy. So much for a right-of-passage!! I'm glad I didn't know then (as I was debating if it would look silly to stand up and watch with both kids on my hips) that it was all the leader could do to keep her up there (Aurora's a strong girl). However, about half-way through the program I finally saw her stand up and start singing. Whew! That was a close one.
We had been practicing her part at home the past few weeks, and let me tell you - I don't know who wrote this presentation, but I don't think they were thinking about the actual AGE of the kids when they assigned parts. A 10-year old had a part that said, "Tithing helps pay for temples" while my kid (with 4 years of experience on this earth) had a part that said, "and he denieth none that come unto him, black and white, bond and free, male and female;" ......HUH???? No wonder none of the Sunbeams had their parts memorized! But she did a great job anyhow!
Well, it was a fun day for one and all. Only 2 falls, a couple of heavy breathers and 2 class clowns. Not a bad way to pass a Sacrament Meeting. And my daughter's right-of-passage happened without any major catastrophes. I can't wait until next year!!!
Christmas 2025!
8 months ago

4 comments:
I miss Primary Programs! Always looked at those as a birthday present, too (AFTER I got out of Primary!). I wish I could have been there to see it. I bet she was cute as always. And you're right--how in the world was she supposed to memorize that?!?! Good job on everything though. You're doing great!
We always used to try to get our kids to smile while they sang by making goofy faces...they always looked like they were in pain standing up there...Of course, I always had to remind Brian not to sing along!
Well, at least she wasn't picking her nose....or eating it, so it was a win!
How funny!!! Our ward is neurotic about our program. We not only practice for two hours for two Sundays, they want the kids to come on a Saturday morning for another two hour practice!! Elizabeth is one of those kids who smiles really big and waves at us!!
Post a Comment